Sunday, March 20, 2011

Still some surprises while fishing


One of the things thats always kept me interested in fishing is being surprsied. The more I fish the less surprised I get, but it still happens. I still remember catching my fish speckled sea trout years ago in the Patapsco river and wondering what it was. recently I was shore fishing at Loch Raven with nightcrawlers hoping to catch some perch or maybe a carp, but instead I hooked up with a fish that felt like a Bass, when I pulled it out of the water I didn't know what it was, It was about 18"and it looked like it had a Suckers body and a trouts head. I asked another fisherman nearby and he didn't know what it was either. so I took a picture and released it, then went home and searched the DNR website without any luck, so I posted it on a local fishing site http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/forumdisplay.php?8-Maryland-Delaware. and a few guys knew what it was right away, it turned out to be a Fallfish, Its actually the largest member of the minnow family. seems to be a fairly common catch in the Gunpowder by Trout fishermen. I actually enjoyed catching this fish more then catching a Rockfish over 40", just because its more unusual to me


No comments: