Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hot summer fishing



Its been a hot hot summer. After working outside all day in temps over 100 degrees, I don't want to do anything but get home in the airconditioning and rest, but I have been getting out on the water a couple times a week on some evenings and the early morning hours on the weekends, luckily with the high water temps that's been when the fish have been most active also, especially the Rockfish, they don't seem to be taking the unusually warm water very well lately, And some of the ones I've been catching haven't looked very healthy. there seems to be good numbers of them in the Upper bay, but they aren't schooled up like they usually are, they seem to be mostly scattered. I think it must have something to do with the warm water, they seem to be conserving their energy and not running around in packs looking for food. In some areas of the bay (especially the very shallow spots) I have been seeing temps as high as 90 degrees! That's why I haven't even been targeting the Rock to much, but I am still usually getting a couple keeper size Rock while targeting mostly Catfish and White perch. One of my favorite ways of targeting them lately is by jigging a Hopkins spoon with a piece of gulp bait on the hook as a trailer. The Catfish especially love it. Once I find the right spot at the right time, its been some great fishing with constant action. I'm also still getting some Croaker with the same method

1 comment:

Melanie Daryl said...

Yeah, it’s definitely hard to catch Rockfish with a temperature that high. If you want to catch a bunch of big Rockfish, try to fish early in the morning, when the water is still cold. Then, position the fishing rod into a slow running current with rocks. Big ones are usually hiding around the bottom of the rock in the water.