Sunday, June 3, 2007

Full moon fishing




The full moon has always been my favorite time to fish the upper Chesapeake, you never know what you could catch. the fish can ride the extra strong current much farther north where they can feed on the shedding blue crabs.

There were times in the past when I had incredible evenings using peeler crabs as bait. One evening in the late 90s a huge school of keeper seatrout invaded Rocky pt. state park with many people catching limits, most were amazed that seatrout would be that far north.
So when I went out to fish on june 2, around the mouth of the patapsco, I brought some peeler crabs along. I set up two rods, one with peelers and I jigged with various metal and soft plastics with the other.



But today the jigs out fished the peelers, In fact, I didn,t catch a single fish on the peelers. small fish kept stealing the bait , so the bigger (slower) fish never had a chance to hit it (good for them). The fishing was slow, but its getting better. I caught about ten stripers to 24", and about ten perch, all on jigs

1 comment:

Patrick Smith said...

Very cool, Sam. The pictures aren't half bad either. Keep it up with those sun set photos. If you ever think about investing in a little better camera let me know and I can help you out.

Later. I am sure I'll see you at work at some point.